Skip to content

Independent Education Abroad

travel options people pointingIndependent Education Abroad

Have you found an education abroad program in which you would like to participate outside of UWRF's official offerings? Do you have friends or family members at another school who invited you to participate in a program with them? Did you find the "perfect program" through an outside education abroad company? Did your academic advisor recommend a program particular to your major? We realize there are hundreds (probably thousands!) of education abroad programs available to you and we certainly do not want to limit what is available to you in terms of program choice...but there are some things you need to know/do before you embark on your independent program outside of the official UWRF programs.

First of all, please make an appointment as soon as possible to meet with an Education Abroad Advisor, in the Office of International Education (715-425-4891).

Second, please be aware that both the availability of financial aid and the transferring back of credits may vary with an Independent Education Abroad program compared to a UWRF-sponsored education abroad program. Please meet with a counselor in the Financial Aid  office to discuss what sort of aid would be/would not be available to you. Information on the transfer credit policy /process follows:

Evaluation and Application of Undergraduate Transfer Credits

Credit is awarded for college-level course work completed at institutions accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Transcripts issued by a non U.S. institution that do not have either a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) or an articulation agreement with UWRF in place need to be evaluated by a third-party transcript evaluation service.  The purpose of the transcript evaluation service is to provide UWRF with an English translation of courses, credits and grading systems as they appear on the foreign transcript, as well as to verify the foreign institution’s accreditation. It is the responsibility of the student to request this service and pay any fees associated with the third party evaluation service.
Perspective and enrolled students are required to use one of the following approved third party transcript evaluation services:
Upon receipt of an official transcript or a third party transcript evaluation, an internal evaluation will be completed. Courses must be similar in nature, level, and content to a course in our undergraduate curriculum and applicable to one of our academic programs; this includes courses that are technical or vocational in nature. Continuing education courses, graduate-level courses, and courses that are remedial, or doctrinal in nature are not transferable. Courses which do not match with specific requirements may be accepted as elective credit, but may be allowed to substitute for specific requirements with approval of the appropriate Academic Department Chair and/or Academic Dean.  Faculty Advisors, Department Chairs and Academic Deans work with transfer students to help them best apply their credits toward the UWRF degree.

Once an internal evaluation has been completed, accepted transfer credits and grades will be recorded on the student’s UWRF record as they appear on the transcript from the host institution or according to the MOU/articulation agreement or as provided by the transcript evaluation service. Transfer grades will not be used in calculating the cumulative GPA. However, grades will be calculated in the major GPA if transfer credits are awarded to meet major requirements. The application of transfer credits and the calculation of cumulative and major GPAs affect eligibility for academic honors and awards.